My 3rd-5th graders had a pretty good time with this, and they came out so nice and bold!
If you’ve never used liquid watercolors, I highly recommend trying it. It gives completely different results!
My older group enjoyed this project. There were a lot of elements that they hadn’t tried yet, such as masking and using a gift card to make the bark. They really love water coloring, too!
Here are more from the class:
This was a new project of which I hadn’t tried, so it was definitely a learning curve for my high school art students. Most of them seemed to like the project when it was completed, but there were a few that voiced their contempt for it as well. Personally, I thought it was a good way to stretch their brains regarding art. We dealt with embossing, burnishing, and creating textured backgrounds.
The girls got frustrated when their perceived ideas of what the embossed leaves should look like didn’t exactly turn out to be as such. Then, they discovered pitfalls with their backgrounds. One of the girls decided to use tissue paper, and after she painted the tissue on to the board with red paint, she thought it turned out looking like flesh, which is kinda gross. Ha! She thought that spray painting the edges black would get rid of that look as well as match it better with the leaves, and that just made it look evil. Ha! Again! I tried to help her by spraying a little silver on the edges to “holy” it up again, BUT she thought it was ugly. In the end, I think it was one of the best ones made.
This was a cool project insofar that we didn’t use watercolors. Instead we used water based markers to achieve the color effect.
This is a great lesson to focus on vanishing points and near vs. far perspective, though the kids thought the scarecrows looked a bit creepy so up-close. Ha! Because of that, some of them even purposefully made their scarecrows more like “scary-crows.” I have the best kids. 🙂
This project was a bit challenging to teach, because I had to constantly remind the kids to think of each area as a “shape” when they were outlining it with the marker because that’s where the color was pulled from when the water was added. That was a hard concept for them to get. HOWEVER, if we ever use this marker/watercolor technique again, they’ll have it down pat.
Here are the kids in the process of creating them:
Here are some of the “scarey-crows” and scarecrows that were made:
One of my art classes just completed this project, and they look great for the season! We used oil pastels for the pumpkin, starting with the color in the middle, and putting a darker color on the bottom, and a lighter color on top. We used watercolor for the background.
The way the pumpkin was positioned was so different than the average side-view. I love this perspective!