In an effort to get caught up, I’m posting three different projects for this one. Whew!
The first set is from my (last year’s) 3rd/4th graders: Jellyfish. First, they drew out their jellyfish very lightly, and then covered it in glue. While the glue was still wet, they dripped watercolors and let it bleed. Once the glue was dry, they added the watercolor background and used saran wrap to make it fractal.
This one didn’t have the same effect in the background, because the color was too muted. Lesson learned by this little artist!
This next set was created by my (then) 5th/6th graders. We were practicing analogous colors.
The final set is from my (then) 7th/8th graders. The challenge was to have at least one partially behind another, and at least one partially off the page. I found some free coloring pages and printed them off for the kids to use and swap out. They were able to trace whichever fishes they liked. Then, they used oil pastels to make the fishes hyper-colorful. Finally, they used watercolor to fill in any remaining fish parts as well as the background water.
My Wednesday class is two hours long this year! Yay! This REALLY helps with being able to complete more complex art pieces. Even though it’s two class periods, it actually works out to be as if it were 2.5 to 3 class periods, because we eliminate the need to clean up and set-up time, as well as the “get focused” time. It really adds up!
One of our first projects was a dragon eye. It was adapted from a black and white sketch I found on the internet. I think these turned out so cool!
First, they sketched out the eye. Then, using watercolor pencils, they emphasized each scale, and pulled in the color. They used watercolors to add shading and more color. They also splattered the skin to add texture, and for the pupils they used black Sharpies.
This was one of those assignments that I’ll do again ….but differently. I always kick myself when I do a project, and then when they’re just about done, I realize all the steps I should have taken because, once again, these kids don’t have the background to do the project. It’s almost like setting them up for failure. Ugh!
Some of the kids had fun doing it, some of them didn’t – simply because they know they’re capable of better, but they don’t know HOW.
Anyway, this project created some super-funny gems. We all had a great giggle from them!
I love the soles of this one.
This one looks like a muppet!
Great bottom of the shoes!
I had them partner up and help each other trace around their hands and feet. Then, they each drew a body and their head spread out, as if they were falling away. It was supposed to be in their likeness, but some are a little… open for interpretation. Finally, they water colored everything, and really jazzed up the soles of their shoes!
I wanted something quick and fairly easy to do after working on the Letter Sculptures, so I chose Cave Dragons from Dynamic Art Projects for Kids, by Denise Logan. Fabulous book for art teachers, by the way!
I gave the kids general directions on how to draw a dragon. Some followed my every move, and some chose to do their own thing. They all turned out magnificent.
In the book, it advises you to use purple carbon paper. Do you know how hard it’s getting to find that stuff?? I’m sure you can find it online, but I procrastinated a bit on this project, so I couldn’t find any locally. Instead, for the stalactites and stalagmites, I had the students get their paper good and wet with a light purple wash of color. Then, they used more pigment to make dark purple areas. Finally, while the paint was still wet, they sprinkled salt on the paper, and let them dry. For the next class period, they brushed off the salt, and cut the stalactites and stalagmites out, and finished the project according to the book.
My older group enjoyed this project. There were a lot of elements that they hadn’t tried yet, such as masking and using a gift card to make the bark. They really love water coloring, too!
I like how this student split her trunks.
Here are more from the class:
One of my art classes just completed this project, and they look great for the season! We used oil pastels for the pumpkin, starting with the color in the middle, and putting a darker color on the bottom, and a lighter color on top. We used watercolor for the background.
The way the pumpkin was positioned was so different than the average side-view. I love this perspective!
I like this one’s broken stem.
Yes, the artist named this, “Yes!!!”