In my (now 2) Wednesday classes, the kids made their own ojo de Dios: Eye of God. My Wednesday classes are a mix of mature 6th-graders through high school.
I let them choose from two different styles: the regular 4-sided ojo, or the complex 8-sided one. The 8-sided ojos look more like mandalas when they get done, but they’re still classified as traditional ojos. Interestingly, the 4-sided ones took only a LITTLE bit of less time to complete than the 8-sided ojos. The students had a great time making them, and I love how they all came out so different! The key is to offer a LOT of different colors of yarn to allow for them to really get creative!
Here’s my sample I showed the kids. I had it out a couple of weeks before we did the project, and the students were perfectly teased and salivating to start! They didn’t believe they were going to be able to make them!
Here are a few in-progress shots:
And the beautiful results!
These were done by my high school class, and they had a pretty good time with it. They used a flour/salt/water mixture to make squeezable goo that dried to a nice, hard, thirsty bunch of lines on their paper. It really soaked in the water colors well!
Once the lines were dry, they used chalk pastels to finish the insides of the shapes. Finally, a splattering of paint finished it off.
We’re working on different cultures in the classes. Right now, we’re south of the border. The 3rd-5th grades made Mexican blankets, and the high schoolers made “tin” snakes. These turned out really nice, and it only took a couple of classes, so it was a great kick-off project.
They started out by cutting the shape of a basic snake out of foam core.
Then, they cut out pieces of cardboard and glued them in whatever designs they liked. The shapes just needed to be geometric.
Once the glue was dried, they covered their snakes in small pieces of aluminum foil.
They really liked this next part: coloring the snake using colored Sharpies.
I promise I’m ALMOST done making posts from last year. I would go on to this year, but I’m so proud of my students, I want to be able to show off their work. On that note, here’s the still life pieces the high schoolers did last year.
My high school students love the fact that they get to use X-acto knives. There’s just something about being old enough to be trusted with a potentially disastrous situation. Or… maybe it’s because they love the clean, detailed results a good blade can give them. Or… maybe it’s because it’s a completely different type of project. It could be all of the above. I try to have at least one project per year for the high schoolers that uses an X-acto knife. This year, they made molas.
Molas from Mexico are usually made from fabric, but we used good ol’ fashion construction paper. The students started off drawing a general shape, whether it was an animal, object, or design. The idea was to cut large shapes and leave some of the last sheet to create the overall picture.
They turned out lovely!
My Wednesday class is two hours long this year! Yay! This REALLY helps with being able to complete more complex art pieces. Even though it’s two class periods, it actually works out to be as if it were 2.5 to 3 class periods, because we eliminate the need to clean up and set-up time, as well as the “get focused” time. It really adds up!
One of our first projects was a dragon eye. It was adapted from a black and white sketch I found on the internet. I think these turned out so cool!
First, they sketched out the eye. Then, using watercolor pencils, they emphasized each scale, and pulled in the color. They used watercolors to add shading and more color. They also splattered the skin to add texture, and for the pupils they used black Sharpies.
This was one of those assignments that I’ll do again ….but differently. I always kick myself when I do a project, and then when they’re just about done, I realize all the steps I should have taken because, once again, these kids don’t have the background to do the project. It’s almost like setting them up for failure. Ugh!
Some of the kids had fun doing it, some of them didn’t – simply because they know they’re capable of better, but they don’t know HOW.
Anyway, this project created some super-funny gems. We all had a great giggle from them!
I love the soles of this one.
This one looks like a muppet!
Great bottom of the shoes!
I had them partner up and help each other trace around their hands and feet. Then, they each drew a body and their head spread out, as if they were falling away. It was supposed to be in their likeness, but some are a little… open for interpretation. Finally, they water colored everything, and really jazzed up the soles of their shoes!