My 3rd-5th graders had a pretty good time with this one. Well, they always have a good time with the chalk/glue resist projects. I think they turned out beautifully, and the kids are nice and proud of them.
Yay! How about a post to kick off this year? At last!
This year, I have 6 art classes. Our art program just keeps growing! This is good thing, though it’s a LOT to juggle.
Introducing my 3rd through 5th-graders. Most of them are returning from last year, but I have a couple of new ones as well. They make a great group of kids!
They started off making painted paper. Using different texture-makers, such as forks, nicked cardboard, bubble wrap, etc., they were able to make some very interesting paper!
The papers were hung in the classroom over the weekend, and those edges curled right on UP. To solve that problem, I sprayed the back side of the paper, which helped them to relax. Then, I stuck some heavy books on top, and the papers flattened perfectly.
The students cut strips from the papers and gave them fancy edges. Then, they glued the strips to a large piece of paper and used oil pastels to make zig-zag stitches. I punched holes on the edges, and they tied the knots of yarn for the fringe. The turned out wonderfully!
The finished projects:
Last year, my 5th/6th graders made Greek vases for their sculpture piece. It’s a pretty involved project, and took several classes to complete. However, I think they turned out pretty well!
Here are the example pieces I showed the kids. I took these pictures in the Dallas Museum of Art when I went to visit over the Christmas holiday.
The students first attached a balloon to a bowl and covered it with paper mache.
Then, they rolled up newspaper to make handles and attached a cup to the top, then covered the entire thing with at least two layers of paper mache.
Finally, they painted the vase with copper and black acrylic. They each picked a Greek myth they liked and used that as a reference to paint on the vases.
They looked great at our annual art show!
Last year’s 5th/6th graders had fun making these space shuttles, inspired by Lines, Dots, and Doodles.
In an effort to get caught up, I’m posting three different projects for this one. Whew!
The first set is from my (last year’s) 3rd/4th graders: Jellyfish. First, they drew out their jellyfish very lightly, and then covered it in glue. While the glue was still wet, they dripped watercolors and let it bleed. Once the glue was dry, they added the watercolor background and used saran wrap to make it fractal.
This next set was created by my (then) 5th/6th graders. We were practicing analogous colors.
The final set is from my (then) 7th/8th graders. The challenge was to have at least one partially behind another, and at least one partially off the page. I found some free coloring pages and printed them off for the kids to use and swap out. They were able to trace whichever fishes they liked. Then, they used oil pastels to make the fishes hyper-colorful. Finally, they used watercolor to fill in any remaining fish parts as well as the background water.
My 5th/6th graders did piece based on the artwork of Charley Harper. Here’s the picture it was based off of:
First, the students drew a birdbath and outlined it gray oil pastel. Then they used a gray watercolor wash to fill it in. Once it was dry, they cut it out. They lined up the birdbath on the second sheet of paper and made a small mark at the top of it in pencil. They removed the birdbath and drew a cardinal body on the line, like a Hershey’s Kiss. Next, they drew two dots for the eyeballs, and then drew a “U” and connected the dots at the top. Inside of that shape, they drew an upside-down “U”, and then a “V” to create the beak. They colored in the black part with a Sharpie, as well as outlined the cardinal with it. Once they were done with the body, they used a ruler and a red Sharpie to make the “flapping” wings. An orange Sharpie was used to color in the beak. Then they used oil pastels to color in the cardinal and make the branches. They water-colored the background blue and then glued the birdbath into place. Finally, using a mix of glue, shaving cream, and glitter, they added puffy snow to the birdbath, the bottom of the paper, and to the branches. They REALLY loved that part, and it looked pretty awesome!
For this project, I printed out some silhouettes of animals found in Australia. The 5th/6th graders did these projects on a paper bag. Once the students picked out their animal, they drew it onto the paper bag sheet, remembering to fill the page as best they could, and used a Sharpie to outline it, and then drew lines to make sections to fill up the rest of the space. They had fun crumpling the sheet up into a tight ball, and trying to smooth it out. This gave it an aged, bark-like appearance. Tearing the edges gave it an aged look, too.
Next, they used earth-toned chalk pastels to fill in the sections and the animal. Once that was completed, they dipped the end of their paintbrushes into acrylic paints and made dots in circles and lines to represent Aboriginal dot painting.
I really liked how these turned out, and I think all the students enjoyed the process.