I put all the usable stuff in (some-what) sorted buckets on a table. This created a “Junk Store.” On their initial visit to the store, they could collect up to 10 items. This was to make sure everyone had a fair opportunity to get the stuff they wanted. After everyone went once, the students were allowed to go up as many times as they liked.
For our Junkbots, I gave the kids rules:
1. Each Junkbot had to have a head and a body.
2. It had to have eyes or some sort of visual aid.
3. The students were allowed to have up to 4 items kept in their “natural” state. (Stuff that wasn’t going to be spray painted silver).
4. Each Junkbot had to have a name.
We used E6000 to glue the pieces, but that didn’t go as well as planned. If some students were STILL having trouble, after trying to do it themselves, I would help them out with Gorilla Crazy Glue.
The Junkbots are built:
Time to spray paint all the Junkbots silver. I did this myself to save time and resources, but the kids LOVED them once they were done. I guess they seemed more “legit.”
Once they were dry, the kids put up to 4 things on the robot that were left in their “natural” state.
Not too shabby for “junk!”